Intent

Object, No Object: Sculpture of Ideas
FRCC Museum & Gallery Studies

Employing critical theory and historical models
to explore the evolving definition of sculpture

Tuesday, October 26

Ephemerality

At this point in the process, I haven't honed in on all the factors that will shape my piece, and ultimately shape what the piece is about.  I do feel though, that the condition of ephemerality is an important way in which my work will intersect with the conceptual premise of the exhibit.  About nine months ago I started focusing on site-specific installation, and have been working this way continuously since.  Each time, I'm going into an unfamiliar space and 'building' a spatial drawing responsive to the shape and constraints of that space.  The piece exists only for the duration of the exhibit.  When the show is over, I break the piece down for parts.  In the case of Object/ No Object, the piece will be exhibited (in-the-flesh) for only a day.  For me, that single fact amplifies the question of where the value of the artwork lies- in product or in process?  For me, arriving at a finished point in the artwork is gratifying, but what I've achieved is more an event than a product.

No comments:

Post a Comment